A paper doily makes an ideal stencil for upcycling Firstpharmacyuk.com a piece of furniture.
You will need:
- Water based eggshell paints
- Paper doily
- Stencil brush or sponge
- First, lightly sand the stool to remove any lacquer or varnish
- Paint the stool legs, side and underneath the seat with two coats of blue water based eggshell paint (leaving to dry in between coats).
- Once dry, then paint the top of the seat with two coats and leave to dry.
- Place a paper doily in the centre of the stool (you may wish to secure with non-tacky tape to hold it in place and make this part of the process easier).
- Dab contrasting colour paint (I used white) over the doily using a flat end stencil brush or a sponge.
- Carefully peel away the doily to reveal the pattern beneath.
- Leave to dry. You may wish to add a coat of clear matt varnish to seal and protect for a durable finish.
TOP TIP – Stencil a Cushion or a Tote Bag
Stencil onto material using the same method with fabric paint, to create tote bags or cushion covers…